The idea to erect the Santner Hut was from the alpine guide Giulio Gabrielli from Predazzo. He could realize his dream in 1956.
Big connoisseur and lover of Catinaccio, he started working in 1927 as a porter for the Vajolet Hut under the leadership of the famous Tita Piaz. While ascending and descending on his mule with fresh foods, he accompanied the first guests, who were exploring the area around the Rosengarten at that time.
During his scarce leisure time he exercised in mountaineering. One day, overcoming fear, he climbed to the summit of Punta Emma. It was the summer of 1927 and Giulio was 20-year-old.
Here began the history of the mountain climber known as the “King of Catinaccio”, “Nuvolari of the rocks”, “aristocrat among guides”. He completed the solitary ascent of the Delago Tower in less than a quarter of an hour, which was repeated over 800 times.
He became a guide in 1929, but he never lost his dream to erect a mountain hut on the Catinaccio, finally realized in 1956 with the opening of the Santner Hut.
He had been running the hut with his wife and children until 1975, when a heart attack forced him to leave the leadership to his youngest daughter, who had taken charge of it until 1989.
The muontain hut has been leased until 1999, and then his granddaughter took care of it.
Santner Hut was completely renewed in 2006.